Saturday, April 7, 2012

Don't Be Late for that Verrrry Important Date!

photo by Suzanne * March 2011
Fort Worth, Texas

It's coming, folks!  What...ten days away now?  Need I remind you AGAIN this year?  What?  You didn't read my post last year?   Just Kidding!

But, here's the link to my post (maybe it will take you there), written on April 14, 2011.  If you get a chance, stop by...because there are some other interesting TAX facts included in the post.
It is actually entitled 'The Beatles "dis" the "Taxman" for the 45th Year!
(or something like that)

I know a lot of us get anxious during tax season, because-why?  Did we earn too much last year, can't find our records, or, is it because it's demanded of us to file?  If paying taxes was voluntary, would we do it?  NO!   But, once again, I succumed...I whined...I complied, and did ours!
And so many people (what's the word?) despise the IRS.  I learned that the IRS employs more investigative agents than the FBI and CIA combined!  And, only the 36 largest corporations in the United States employ more people than the IRS.  What a racket!!!


The origin of the income tax on individuals is generally cited as the passage of the 16th Amendment, passed by Congress on July 2, 1909, and ratified February 3, 1913; however, its history actually goes back even further. During the Civil War Congress passed the Revenue Act of 1861 which included a tax on personal incomes to help pay war expenses. The tax was repealed ten years later. However, in 1894 Congress enacted a flat rate Federal income tax, which was ruled unconstitutional the following year by the U.S. Supreme Court because it was a direct tax not apportioned according to the population of each state. The 16th amendment, ratified in 1913, removed this objection by allowing the Federal government to tax the income of individuals without regard to the population of each State. 

Millions of Americans faithfully pay individual income taxes each year without any questions and without knowing what law, if any, makes them liable to the taxes they so freely pay. Millions of others – over 30 million, by some estimates – fail or simply refuse to do so.
***

The exceptions-here are a few of the 10 most famous tax evaders!
* Al Capone...infamous gangster.  He was sentenced to 11 years in jail around 1931 for tax evasion.

* Sophia Loren...Italian moviestar.  She spent 18 days in jail during 1982 for tax evasion.  Didn't hurt her reputation any, did it?

* Pete Rose...former baseball star.  Pete spent July 1990-January 1991 in jail and paid $366,041 in back taxes.

* Bud Abbott and Lou Costello...comedy stars in the 1940's and 1950's.  These two guys were ordered by the IRS to pay such a large amount of back taxes, that they had to sell their homes and declare bankruptcy!

Other famous people cited, or, strung up for tax evasion include:
 Judy Garland
 Wesley Snipes
 and Nicholas Cage (oh...Nick!)

Now, I want you to know, dear readers, that I am one of the most patriotic persons, a true lover of my country, USA.  I just have to get a little rowdy now and then.  I've been filing my tax returns for, well, maybe about 40 years now (I was just a tot when I began working, haha!).  And, not being in a high income bracket, I always fare well in the end.  I do obey the law, follow the rules, go to work every day (am I boring you now?).

But nobody messes with me, see?

Well, enough about taxes...except for this video below.  Please enjoy.
And, Happy Tax Week!




Thank you George Harrison and The Beatles!
Hope you enjoyed...please have a safe and happy Easter holiday
from the KardKorner! 


"An Easter Bonnet can tame even the wildest hare!"
~Easter Bunny

10 comments:

  1. Hello again, dear Susan! It's great to see a new post from you here on your other blog. I grew up watching Abbott and Costello on TV and in movies and it makes me sad to know that they were hounded into bankruptcy after bringing joy and laughter to millions. I think the tax man should only pick on mobsters and leave our beloved entertainers alone. I get the chance to hear George & John's "Taxman" about once a week because I have the Revolver album loaded in my 300 disc CD changer. I have more than 2,000 tracks in the changer and keep it set to "shuffle" mode so that it plays songs in random order, jukebox style. I play my music every evening during exercise and it makes the 30 minutes fly by. I hope you and your family have a delightful Easter, dear Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shady. I agree with you about mobsters...I think they get away with enough! And, I don't think Abbott and Costello were worth millions like some are. You know, entertainers like them, and I believe, even the three Stooges, didn't earn the equivalency of what some earn today. But they were easily preyed upon.
    Sounds like you're good for music...there's nothing like it. I put a Taxman video on my post last year, and it has disappeared from that post. It has also disappeared from YouTube. So, I found another one for this post. A really fun song. Thank you for stopping by...we don't have Scootie this weekend, but we'll make up for it next time. He'll not realize the Easter Bunny was late! Happy Easter, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how everyone gets their knickers in a twist about their tax returns, isn't it?! In England, there is a date in January when the forms all have to be in, although I must admit that it's much easier doing it on line now. Some great facts there about taxation! George Harrison was always my favourite Beatle. Happy Easter day to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tax time...yuck. Am going over to read what your wrote last year. (bad memory)

    Happy Easter, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nancy-Happy Easter! It's raining bunnies in Texas today, but that's ok, we need it. Tax time is yuk, and, I do make jokes about it. And, I'm glad when it's over with. Thank you for stopping by. Hope you are well. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thisisme, so wonderful of you to stop by. I had to chuckle about your 'knickers in a twist' comment. That's cute! I couldn't have said it better. So, in England you do it in January? To me that would be better. Just after year's end, when everyone is already thinking about it! And, I simply adore George Harrison. He was kind of an unsung hero of the Beatles...very talented, and his son, resembles him very much.

    Thank you Thisisme...we're winding down the Easter season now with dinner...didn't get to have Shawn this time, but we'll see him next week, so, we'll celebrate for sure! Have a good week, m'lady♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. tax time. ugh.
    i'm proud of myself...this year i got ALL our stuff together EARLY!!
    in fact we already got our BIG refund of 97 bucks!! haha. and i had to pay the accountant a hundred!

    LOTS of interesting tax facts susan!! i remember your tax time post from last year!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting reading Susan! Happily, we're retired and not rich, so no more tax days for us... but I can remember them well! Cheers :D)

    ReplyDelete
  9. * Hi Susan, so good to see you. We still have to pay taxes here even after retirement. When I retire, I'll not be rich either...maybe I'll quit filing, too, lol. Thanks for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. * Laura, you did good! Doing taxes early puts at least one terror to rest. Thank you for reading AGAIN! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete

Stop by and say Hello!