Thursday, April 25, 2013

A 'Not-So-Welcome' Break!

~photo by Suzanne * April 13, 2013

Whew!  What a time we've had these past two weeks.  Two weeks ago Wednesday, I phoned Karo from the grocery store to ask if he knew of anything else we needed before I headed home.  "No", he said, "but I've got a big surprise waiting for you when you get home."  I thought maybe he'd gone to pick up our grandson 'Scootie' for a few days.  So, I said, "Does it talk?"  Karo said "no, but it was pretty expensive!"  When I arrived home, and, into the house, I did not notice anything expensive at all, but Karo took me to the dining room window and told me to gaze upon the backyard.
YAH!!!  The massive tree out in the 'back 40' of our property had split down the middle and broke off, pulling down phone lines and electrical lines.  In turn, those lines ripped the post off of the back of our house that houses the electrical lines connected to the breaker box-a mouthful, eh?

So, here's the tree with the break and stuff laying all around it.

A closer look...stuff fell into the broken area? Whaa...?

large limbs, and, more lines hanging around

...then, trailing over the 1968 'Aerosmith' truck * believe it or not, no damage to this truck!
Do they make them like this anymore?  Nah!

And, here's where the pole was 'ripped' from the house!

Of course, it rained after that for TWO DAYS!!!  And, it was hard to get anyone to come out to help.  We were kind of dumbfounded-we had to pinch and shake each other to the tune of "WHAT DO WE DO FIRST!?"  And, NO INTERNET!  But, we did have electricity...actually we were fortunate.  So we got the tree removed first, wow-that hurt the pocketbook!  Karo and Rusty did repair work on the house, getting the underflashing from the roof fixed and the pole securely back in place, but the electricity had to be turned off for these repairs, and a technician had to come back to re-string the electric lines.  They are above ground, and were laying ON the ground! It took the technician, Karo and Rusty, all to hold up and wench the lines back up.   After that, was the wait for the phone company to come back and reconnect the phone-sheesh!!!

In the meantime, I was frantically trying to figure out how to access, at least, my email, from my cell phone!  I have only used that phone to TALK ON! And, I could get to my blog, and, to all of yours...but, I could not get logged on to blogger to say anything-drats, what a nightmare!  Karo has 'hotspot' on his phone, but, we still couldn't get logged on to anything on our computers!  NO...it wasn't the operators!!!☺

Nevertheless, I'm glad to be back...I must say, I've missed you all, and I am trying to get back in the groove and catch up to all your news.  I trust you've all been well, and, have had pleasant weather.  We've had unusually very springy weather-well, I guess you'll need to check in with the garden guru at MyTexasGardens-she'll be happy to tell you all about it-AFTER she's cleaned up her yard from the tree disaster!  By the way, wonder if she knows what kind of tree that was? 

We did get to spend some time with Scootie during the 'tree fiasco', and took him to the park so he could really run wild!


~photo by Suzanne * April 12, 2013

*** Don't you just want to pinch his cheeks, lol? ***


~photo by Suzanne * Fort Worth, TX * April 12, 2013

***
Thank you so much for stopping by...I know sometimes we can't help the events that force us to take a break from our usual fun tasks, and, it's so good to feel that 'welcome back' feeling that lightens the load, and makes it all worthwhile!

I want to take a moment to say that I, a Texas resident, am so appreciative of your prayers and blessings to the folks of West, Texas who have suffered great losses as a result of the explosion at the fertilizer plant.  There was a wonderful and touching memorial for the families and townspeople, at which our president and his wife graciously attended.  The town has amazing strength, and, I believe, with our assistance and prayers, they can rebuild and, persevere. 

***
Please stop and say hello if you get the chance...AND REMEMBER!

"A tree never hits an automobile except in self-defense!


See you next time!

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Suzanne! I'm so sorry about your hassles and hardships. As I've noted before the main thing is that you and Karo and Scootie are all safe and sound.

    In 2004 and again in 2005 hurricanes brought pine trees down on the roof of our house and crushed our neighbors fence. We spent thousands to have a tree service remove the debris and chop down trees that were left leaning dangerously in the wake of those storms.

    I'd freak out if I was cut-off from the internet that long and it's great to have you back in action. I thought about you when I saw the story about the West Texas plant explosion. I was hoping your absence wasn't somehow connected to that tragedy, such as having a family member involved. It seems like our country goes from one big tragedy to another with little time in between. My prayers go out to all affected by the factory blast.

    Central Florida has been lucky with the weather this spring. We got some much needed rain w/o the rough stuff. Everything has greened up nicely. The temperature was also nice and cool for a while with low humidity but this week the heat and stickiness returned and soon will be here for the duration.

    Thank you very much for continuing to follow our blogs even though you couldn't comment. Kathleen was very happy to receive your late comment on her post. She read it to her mother and left a reply for you. Your friendship means a lot to them and to me, dear Suzanne. Please take care of yourself. (If you can get an email off to the MTG lady, remind her that it's her turn to write a blog post!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see you here today ! My, what a time you've had of it. That was really pretty nasty with that tree incident . Thank goodness that you're safe and that it didn't damage the house at all. Little Scooter is just SO cute - you could just eat him all up, couldn't you?! Hugs my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Shady! Here I was whining about no internet (2 weeks was brutal!) and a broken tree in the yard, when so much anguish and terror are happening to others around us. The factory explosion in West, Texas was very tragic, then, we've got evil in another part of the country (Boston), a tragedy in so many ways!

    A test of strength, no doubt. We deal with one testy event, and it takes us to the next one, like you said with little time in between. We pick up and go on, hoping we can endure!

    So, it's off to Scootie land...we picked him up this evening for the weekend, so we've been pretty busy. He gets excited and it takes a bit to get him to sleep. But, he brings a lot of joy with him. I hope you and Mrs. Shady are doing well, muggy weather and all. I, too, dread the hot summer that is bound to show up sooner or later.

    Have a wonderful weekend Shady, thank you so much for stopping by. And, I think your post on Ricky Nelson was one of your best presentations. I really enjoy reading Kathleen's writings of her mother's family and her life. I cannot imagine being 101 years old! And, I will pass your message on to the MTG lady!♫

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fancy meeting you here Thisisme! I hope Albert is enjoying his visit so far-he's such a cute little guy. I'm glad to be back among the internet living! Although there have been some sad events in the past two weeks.

    I adored the photos you posted of the queen on her birthday, and the interesting notes about her horses! She sounds like such a personable and fun lady.

    Thank you for your gracious compliments on Scooter-he's such a fun child. We do have him this weekend too, so maybe he'll humor me with some great photos. I'm sure glad your weather has become more agreeable...makes for lovelier walks on the beach, ahhh! Have a great weekend, thank you for coming by. I will see you soon! hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a nightmare. It must have been like the apocalypse without phone and Internet. Good on the husbands truck for not getting blitzed.

    Glad all is well (sorry about the damage to the tree and pocketbook!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, yes it was like a bad dream, very stressful! I can't believe that truck didn't get hurt-just goes to show you, they don't make 'em like they used to. Fortunately, no one was hurt, and we still had electricity thru that time. Now, onwards and upwards!

      Thank you for coming by, I hope you are doing well. See you soon!♥

      Delete

Stop by and say Hello!