Sunday, February 9, 2014

Bad Boy Johnnys...eating my Heart out!


How popular is the name Johnny anyway?  And, where did the name Johnny come from?  Some say the name Johnny is French, some say the name is of Hebrew origin, and, others say Johnny is English...hmmm.  Well,  I studied French, the name Johnny is seen as Jean.  The meaning of the name according to the Hebrew definition is "of Grace or favor", and, "God is Gracious".  As it turns out, the name Johnny is the #2 most common name, with James being the #1 most common name!  The graph above depicts a decline in the popularity of the name Johnny in the late 1940's and 1950's-then, as time goes on, it mellows out for the next, say, 15 years, throughout the 1990's into the millennium.  It 2012, girl babies given the name Johnny ranked at 5 vs. 281 boy babies given the name.

***  But enough of this serious stuff!  You didn't come over for a lesson in baby names, did you?  Let me  chauffeur you through time with film characters named 'Johnny'!

Introducing the BAD BOYS of film named JOHNNY!
(Well, a few of them anyway)

"Hop on the back, Dearies!"
~ Nicholas Cage as 'Johnny Blaze'
'Ghost Rider' * 2007

George Raft
~ Johnny Allegro * 1949

'Johnny Allegro' is a crime drama about a florist, whose shop is in a popular hotel.  Played by George Raft,  (isn't he handsome!) Johnny Allegro meets a gorgeous blonde, who, of course, is married, and gets drawn into a dangerous situation with her and her husband on a secluded island in Florida.  The lady's husband knows that Johnny Allegro is infatuated with his gorgeous wife, and, uses his own goons to hunt Johnny down in an intense chase on foot through the island.  Johnny almost loses his life trying to help the authorities solve a counterfeit crime, as the husband tries to get rid of him and his wife.  Johnny manages to escape, and bring them all to justice.  I really liked this film done in black and white, the scenery and home on this Florida island really added to the suspense of the story.


~Bobby Driscoll and Robert Newton
* Treasure Island * 1950 * Robert Newton as 'Long John Silver'

Long John Silver is a fictional character created by Robert Louis Stevenson in his 1883 novel
'Treasure Island'.  Long John is a 'bad boy' at its best!  Played by Robert Newton, Silver is a one-legged tyrant of a pirate.  He signs on to the ship 'Hispaniola' as a cook, and manages to keep his cover for a time, while the crew is busy hunting for treasure.  Long John just can't keep a lid on it and loses patience in his wait to take over the ship and treasure.  He kidnaps Jim, and takes over the ship.  Jim eventually gets free, wins the ship back, and, sends Long John Silver packing!
(Well, you know there's more to the story, lol!)

~Marlon Brando
* Johnny Strabler * The Wild One * 1953

This story is based on a real-life incident that occurred in a California town in 1947.  The film paves the way for the 'bad boy' stereotype of bikers who exhibit anti-social behavior.  Johnny Strabler, played by Marlon Brando, (hubba, hubba!) is the leader of the 'Black Rebels' bike gang.  The gang rides into town where a motorcycle race is being held, and, because of their unruliness, they are kicked out of the race, and out of town.   On their way out, Johnny steals the trophy for 2nd place (the 1st place trophy is too large to carry on a motorcycle), and the race is literally on!  Sensationalism at its best! LOL!

 ****
I know this may seem grueling, but, please bear with me-just a bit more to go!
  These guys are special!

~Patrick Swayze
* Johnny Castle * Dirty Dancing * 1987

Well, what can I say here...I already have tears in my eyes!  This movie was on while I was writing this post.  What draws us to this Johnny?  Well, he is a 'bad boy' of sorts.  He is desired by most women who encounter him.  His handsome good looks and svelte physique lend to the overall awesomeness of his dancing talent!  AND...he looks good in a white t-shirt and blue jeans (my opinion!)!  How most of us ladies would like to have been in 'Baby's' shoes!
And...oh, that famous line, "Nobody puts Baby in a corner!"
You are sorely missed Patrick Swayze!

And now...on to the ultimate Johnny!

Elvis Presley
~Frankie and Johnny * 1966

Elvis plays a riverboat singer named 'Johnny' with Donna Douglas as his girlfriend, 'Frankie'.  And, what a pair!  Who would have thought to put these two together in a musical production?  What! You say I'm just jealous?  Well, sure I am!  And, Frankie becomes very jealous when she spies Johnny dancing with a beautiful red haired girl.  It turns out that Johnny, although a great performer,  is a sorry gambler in debt, and trying to score a change in his bad luck.  A 'tea reading' fortune teller has told Johnny that he will meet a red haired lady that will change his luck.  So he gets the red haired to touch the dice for him, and, by and large, he starts winning.  Frankie throws all of Johnny's winnings out the window, and later shoots Johnny in a moment of passion, not realizing the gun was holding blanks!  So, of course, Johnny survives.
Well...we couldn't let Elvis die, could we?  LOL!

***  Thank you so much for sticking around to see my favorite 'Johnny's'!  We know there are many more popular 'bad boy' Johnny's, in the film industry, and, in real life!  haha!
I took the liberty of bringing over a great clip from the musical
Frankie and Johnny from 1966, featuring our own Elvis, and his costar
Donna Douglas as Frankie!  
*** This is my own special Valentine to you my gracious readers!

Please enjoy!




****
Looks like we've covered a lot of ground here, my dearest readers.  And, I hope you haven't been disappointed in my choices of Johnny's.  I know there are hundreds more Johnny characters we've seen, but, I believe this group to be of a special breed!

Much Thanks to:
Google
Yahoo
http://www.ourbabynamer.com
www.thinkbabynames.com
www.babycenter.com
http://imdb.com
http://www.filmsite.org
Wikipedia
*** and many more***

*** Thank you Shady Del Knight for the Liebster award!
* here are a couple of questions Shady asked the blogger recipients
of this award, actually it was question #11:

Shady:  If you could time travel, which decade or century would you most like to visit?  Where in the world would you go? Would you stay in that place and time, or return to the present? 
My answer:  Well, I would like to go back to the 1950's, and travel to Europe-France, Venice and England specifically...I would also need to spend some time in California and New York!  And, my happiness would play an important part in my decision to stay-but, I venture to say that I would probably return to my native American soil!  (maybe not in the present tho!)

***a special thanks to Elvis Presley ***



Happy Valentine's Day to you Special Folks!
Stop by and say hello...Love to you all!

Be kind...give love and laughter! ♥

9 comments:

  1. Hello, Suzanne! Thanks for answering one of my Liebster questions. Just think. If you time traveled to 1950s England you could have a tea party with Thisisme as a little girl! Wouldn't that be something?

    Isn't it interesting how the name John peaked in popularity in the 1930s and 40s? Heck, every Tom, Dick and Harry was named John back then! :) Since then the name has slipped down the totem pole. Do you happen to know if the name "Shady" is currently among the top 10? :)

    Mrs. Shady is obsessed with Johnny Depp. As far as Johnny characters go, I recognize and remember Long John Silver from seeing Treasure Island as a boy. I also saw Marlon Brando in The Wild One, Patrick Swayze in Dirty Dancing and Elvis in Frankie & Johnny (although I was more interested in watching Jennifer Grey and Donna Douglas). Did you realize that Donna was a couple years older than Elvis and is now 80 years old? Elly Mae Clampett - 80! Holy smokes! My favorite George Raft performance was as gangster Spats Colombo in Some Like It Hot.

    Congratulations once again on your Liebster award which applies to both your blogs, dear friend. Have a great week ahead and a happy Valentine's Day, Suzanne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening Shady. I'm sorry for coming back so late, I just had to tune in to the Beatles 50th anniversary show. It was so great...just love Ringo! And, it was so fabulous to see George Harrison's boy on stage! However, I think Yoko was just a little bit out of control, lol! Thank goodness they didn't let her on stage!

      I'm with Mrs. Shady. Johnny Depp is the most! He is so creative, so unpredictable, yet, so suave! lol! And, you're right...it would have been fun to have tea with Thisisme in the 50's! What an exciting thought-we were probably having tea at the same time, islands apart.

      George Raft was a cool character-and,he wore spats in Johnny Allegro! I didn't know that Donna Douglas was older than Elvis. We still watch Dirty Dancing when it comes on..."I carried a watermelon?" That was hilarious, Jennifer Grey was very good! And I have the sound track, but it doesn't have the Solomon Burke song on it, I think its called, 'Don't You Feel Like Crying'. Well, I did find a CD with the song on it and downloaded it-it is such a smooth song!

      Thank you so much for stopping by Shady. And, I want you to know my thoughts and prayers are with Margaret, and a speedy recovery. I am sorry to hear that she is ill. What a gracious lady she is!

      Happy Valentine's Day to you and Mrs. Shady-may many red hearts fill your home this weekend! See you soon! ♫

      Delete
  2. Hi there Suzanne. Well, what a fabulous post. I'm wondering what made you come up with that idea! Oh, some lovely men called Johnny there. You've done us proud. Gosh , George Raft. Now that's really going back in time! Trouble is, I remember him! Eeeek! Well, Mr Depp is wonderful of course, and what a fabulous picture of Marlon Brando. Yum! I did smile at Shadykin's comment about us having a tea party back in the 50's! Of course , you left the very best one until last , with the ever gorgeous Elvis! My, but he was so handsome, wasn't he?! Thank you my friend for a really fab post. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Ms. Romantic! What honey of a week ahead, with all of the Valentine decor, and your romantic letters (I agree with you...handwritten letters are still fun to receive).

    We had watched the movie 'Johnny Allegro' a couple of weeks ago, and I started thinking of all the Johnny characters...not actors named Johnny, but, characters named Johnny, so it was more of a challenge to do the research!

    Haha, so you remember George Raft? he was truly a handsome guy, wasn't he? And, too, love the photo of Marlon Brando! Johnny Depp is one handsome guy, and mysterious too, I think.

    We used to serve either milk, water or lemonade for tea when I was a girl, and, my sister would make cookies out of leftover pie crust. She would flatten it out, spread a little butter on them, add cinnamon and sugar and bake until done...they were so good-what fun times!

    So, you see, I couldn't leave Sir Elvis out...save the best for last I always say! Was that man for real? What a dream!

    Thanks so much for coming by Thisisme. It's been a wonderful Valentine week so far, and we're getting to have Scootie this weekend, so, I'll have to plan some goodies for him! Have a great Wednesday...see you soon! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was fun reading your post about the Johnny's. My brother is named John, and when we were kids, everyone called him Johnny. Somewhere around junior high, he became John, but I think I must have still called him Johnny for a few more years. Funny how names come and go, then cycle around again.

    Have a marvellous Valentines and thanks for the Snoopy love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy. The name Johnny was so popular in the 1950s and 60s. I know a family now with a 12 month old son named Johnny, so the the name lives on. And names do cycle around again.

      I'm so glad you came by, and got a kick out of my post. I hope you and your family are doing well...hasn't the weather been crazy this winter!

      Happy Valentine's day Nancy from Snoopy and KardKornerKrib! ♥

      Delete
  5. Hi there Suzanne, wow you certainly came up with a lot of Johnny's - I'd forgotten a lot of them! Recently saw Nicholas Cage in Ghost Rider and loved it once more... of course I am partial to motor bike riders.
    Sorry I've been away so long, but definitely back and here to stay. Have a better computer system too - so no more pulling of hair as the blogs churn slowly.
    Hope you and Karo have a wonderful Valentine's Day. Cheers now :D) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, welcome back. You have been missed. Well, there are plenty more Johnnys out there for sure! I, too liked Nicholas Cage in 'Ghost Rider', and, am partial to motorcycle riders!

      Thank you for coming back to your blog...you never left my sidebar or reading list. Hugs! ♥

      Delete
    2. Thanks Suzanne, I love being back and am truly thrilled to have received your visit :D) See you soon xx

      Delete

Stop by and say Hello!