Saturday, June 12, 2010

Celebrate Flag Day June 14, 2010!

In August 1949, President Harry S. Truman proclaimed June 14 as Flag Day, and since then all Americans
in the country are encouraged to display the Stars and Stripes outside their homes and businesses. 

    
Old Glory was flown from sea captain William Driver's merchant ship in the 1820's/1830's.  It was originally a 24 star flag, and later 10 more stars were added for the states that had joined the union.


The Grand Union Flag is considered to be the first National Flag of the United States and was first flown on December 2, 1775 by John Paul Jones.

The Betsy Ross Flag was designed during the American Revolution.  According to the legend, the original Betsy Ross Flag was made on July 14, 1776, and in use by 1777.  Even though it is disputed that she actually sewed the first Flag, Americans have accepted Betsy Ross' story as history.

Please note-I compiled this information from About.com-Homeschooling, from an article written by Beverly Hernandez on the The History of Flag Day.

*****

On a lighter note, our old friend Mark Twain says,
 "Age is an issue of mind over matter.  If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!"


2 comments:

  1. hey susan!! i mad it...going back in time!!
    hey...seems to me, you knew what you were doing...a year ago...
    our flags...how they've changed...your interesting info...as always!

    and of course...the mark twain quote! he had sooo many good things to say!!

    i also don't think i ever scrolled ALL THE WAY down your sidebar...to get to the archives of your blog...WOW!! you have so many COOL pictures...and dedications all along there!!
    of course i'm partial to the spooky...halloween stuff (love the grim reaper pic!) AND ALL the MOONS!!

    thanks for STILL being around...after a year!! i love to visit! :]>laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, here we are...way back 1 year ago. Glad you found it. Yes, I love flags, of all kinds!

    And the sidebar...it's still locked, and bums me out because I like to move things around. I thought it was cool that I managed to get the jellyfish slideshow on my sidebar way back when. I've done so much more since then. But I've learned so much from fellow bloggers-like you! I love all the stuff on your sidebar-tells me who you are. Thanks again Laura. I think yours is the only comment on this post.

    ReplyDelete

Stop by and say Hello!